Montessori for Dementia training can be developed specifically to meet an organisation’s needs and can be followed with on-site mentoring to help cement the principles into practice. For those who complete the two day Montessori for Dementia course there is the opportunity to receive certification with International Montessori for Elders by completing a range of assessment tasks that will provide evidence of understanding, adherence and application of Montessori principles for people living with dementia.
The two-day Montessori for Dementia program focuses on applying the Montessori principles in the workplace. Participants in this workshop will learn about the basic principles of Montessori for Dementia, along with practical “hands-on” opportunities to apply the techniques and consider how this philosophy of care can be adopted for people living with dementia and applied in activity programs. The first day of the program focuses on the facts (knowledge) and the second day focuses on putting the concepts into practice for specific people, activities and environments. The training is inspiring and fun.
By the end of the two-day program, the participant will be able to:
- Link needs, interests, skills and abilities of people living with dementia to Montessori goals and objectives.
- Describe the Montessori for Dementia™ model and explain why this is a useful technique for those with dementia.
- Describe the Montessori philosophy as well as the basic Montessori principles.
- Develop roles and activities for individuals and groups based on the main Montessori classes of activities, as modified for dementia.
- Develop and Introduce Montessori activities and programs based upon Montessori principles.
- Assess current activity programming strategies and know how to modify these to embrace Montessori principles
Training workshops are scheduled regularly around Australia. Please contact www.montessoriconsulting.com.au if you would like to see training in your area.